Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an international, private, non-governmental, non-profit humanitarian organization. Our organization offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters, to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation. We have been working in Nigeria since February 1996. A Memorandum of Understanding between Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Federal Government of Nigeria facilitates this. We are at present co-operating with the Federal Ministry of Health, State and Local Government departments of health on various health projects.
Technical Logistics Manager
Job Type Full Time
Experience: 2 Years
Job Unit Logistics
- Assisting the Project Coordinator or Logistics Coordinator in the definition and follow-up of logistics activities in the project or capital, in conjunction with other medical project managers in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the targeted population in terms of construction, transport, communication, food, shelter, water and sanitation, and essential non-food items.
- Ensuring and monitoring the implementation of logistics/technical activities in the project / capital (construction, transport of goods and staff, communications, water and sanitation, vehicles and engines, equipment/installation and infrastructures, communications, etc.) ensuring compliance of MSF standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the Project Coordinator or LogCo on the development of the ongoing programs. This includes the following:
- Implementing all administrative related activities linked to logistics (orders, insurances, vehicle contracts, etc.).
- Participating in the planning and implementation, together with the Logistics Coordinator, the Project Coordinator and the HR Coordinator, the HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, detection of potential, development and communication) of the logistics staff in the project / capital in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities.
- Ensuring technical reference for all logistics/technical issues in the project and providing coaching to logistics staff under his/her responsibility. Ensuring all staff in the Project is properly briefed about use of communication tools (handsets, HF/VHF, etc.).
- Ensuring installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and lodging facilities for international staff in adequate living conditions
- Defining and monitoring technical aspects of the project risk reduction policy, transport, communication, protection, identification and preparation of the technical aspects of the project security policy and guidelines, evacuation plan and contingency plan, performing day-to day monitoring of the application of security rules and reporting to the Project Coordinator any problem that may arise. For this purpose, the Project Logistics Manager will have to create an appropriate environment to facilitate security exchange of information.
- Participating in monthly reports according to guidelines.
- setting up a healthy and well functioning technical logistical set up in the Mission Capital in Abuja, with a specific focus on implementatino of standards and recuitment, coaching and training the team, and smooth collaboration with the different departments, with the aim that this position can be made redundant after the 9 month mission.
- support in the recuitment and implementation of new positions, such as head driver, head of skilled laborer as well as mainantancier, etc. and support the TAS to set up a clear line of responsabilities and communication.
- Evaluating needs and setting up a sustainable system of maintenance and prevention of damages of the structures and facilities in the capital.
- Training and coaching the Technical activity Supervisor to take on the role of manager after the Capital log is gone.
- Evaluating and improving technical standards in the capital.
- Working with the Logco dep tech and the TAM hand in hand to ensure a smooth communication and support of the other departments in the mission, with an emphasis of implementing sustainable communication lines and easy follow up.
- Setting up of a well maintainable grab stock system in the capital, in close collaboration with the supply and HR team.
- Establishing possible synergies with the other OCs, such as airport transports, or the use of mechanical workshops.
- If necessary supporting technical logistical needs in the field, defined by the supervisor.
Education: Essential secondary education and technical diploma or technical university degree, preferably as an engineer
Experience: Essential at least two years of working experience in logistics related activities. Desirable previous experience with MSF or other NGOs, and working experience in developing countries
Languages: Knowledge of English (spoken &written, plus any local languages
Knowledge: Computer literacy.
Competences: People Management and Development, Commitment to MSF Principles, Behavioural Flexibility, Results and Quality Orientation and Teamwork and Cooperation.
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.
Deadline: January 5, 2020
Method of Application
Submit Application Letter, latest Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of all necessary credentials with telephone contact details (daytime) in an envelope (specify on the envelope – Application for the post of TECHNICAL LOGISTICS MANAGER) to the addresses below:
Human Resources Coordinator,
No. 11, First Avenue, Gwarinpa, Abuja
Applications can also be submitted at any of the MSF OCA project offices in Benue, Sokoto and Zamfara States. OR via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject as TECHNICAL LOGISTICS MANAGER