BBC, British Broadcasting Corporation is the public-service broadcaster of the United Kingdom, headquartered at Broadcasting House in London. It is the world’s oldest national broadcasting organisation and the second largest broadcaster in the world by number of employees, with over 20,000 staff in total, of which 16,672 are in public sector broadcasting
Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media) - BBC Pidgin
Job Type Full Time
Job Field Media/Advertising
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/50008
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Contract Type: Fixed Term Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
Job family: Journalism
- Responsible for output on social media platforms, including editorial control, reporting, selection and compilation of material, production, leading teams and planning and implementing effective use of resources.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
- Commission and select relevant materials ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
- Create and execute social media strategy through competitive research, platform determination, content analysis and audience identification.
- Generate, edit, publish and share daily content (original text, images, video) that builds meaningful connections and sustains audience engagement (especially female and young audiences).
- Continuously retain old and new audiences by capturing and analyzing appropriate social data/metrics, insights and best practices, and then acting on the information.
- May be required to undertake on-air reporting, may be required to film and edit material for broadcast where appropriate.
- May include the production and presentation of live or recorded programmes.
- May be required to present live or recorded content on radio, TV or online.
- Deliver journalism of the highest standard and within the required timeframe using available resources.
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly communicating and distributing best practices between teams.
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- At all times to carry out duties in accordance with the BBC health and safety policy.
- A high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and production skills based on substantial broadcast journalism experience.
- Excellent track record of growing audiences on social media platforms.
- Good understanding of social and digital trends.
- Ability to connect with young and female audiences.
- Ability to maximise opportunities offered by existing and emerging technologies to their fullest extent.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of more than one team. Resolving conflicts as necessary.
- Ability to manage resources, staff, technical facilities and budgets, in the most cost effective manner.
- Ability to write creatively in an engaging manner, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media suitable for multimedia output.
- Significant level of responsibility. Uses initiative but seeks guidance where necessary.
- No line management responsibility but may mentor more junior staff.
- A senior journalist covering a wide range of journalism activity, with significant experience and responsibility for programme/content creation.
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.