The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Our award-winning research for development (R4D) addresses the development needs of tropical countries. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We are a nonprofit organization founded in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported by several countries. Our mission is to enhance food security and improve livelihoods in Africa through research for development (R4D).
We use the R4D model in setting a research course that addresses major development problems in Africa rather than simply contributing to scientific knowledge. It has proven to be an effective mechanism for agricultural research development. We and our partners have delivered about 70% of the international research impact in sun-Saharan Africa in the last three decades.
- Develop protocols and standard operating procedures for sample collection and field survey to be conducted by the Soils4Africa project across the continent;
- Assist in the development of (electronic) tools for the recording of the field observations and registration of soil samples with the of available tool kits;
- Assist WP leader in coordinating field campaign to be organized in the five (5) subregional hubs of the project in Africa;
- Conduct training on the use of the protocols, implementation of the standard operating procedures and use of tools for field survey in the sub-regional hubs and field teams if and when required;
- Assist in the acquisition of consultancy assignments and projects with reference to soil inventory, suitability assessment and management recommendations;
- Execute the fieldwork for soil inventory and mapping associated with the abovementioned consultancy assignments and projects (organize, coordinate and oversee);
- Prepare reports on all activities conducted and assist in reporting to project donors and clients;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
Join any of these WhatsApp Groups to get job/scholarship update on WhatsApp
- Masters in Soil Science or related fields with minimum of five (5) years’ experience in sampling designs, soil formation and genesis, soil analysis and soil management in a well structured organization.
- Candidate must be digitally competent (use of computers and standard applications like word processors, spreadsheets, etc.), and competency in data management, statistical analysis (preferably in the use of R) and writing scripts or code for applications like ODK.
- Have good communication and interpersonal relations skills.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.