World Bank Group has expanded from a single institution to a closely associated group of five development institutions. Our mission evolved from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) as facilitator of post-war reconstruction and development to the present-day mandate of worldwide poverty alleviation in close coordination with our affiliate, the International Development Association, and other members of the World Bank Group, the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Once, we had a homogeneous staff of engineers and financial analysts, based solely in Washington, D.C. Today, we have a multidisciplinary and diverse staff that includes economists, public policy experts, sector experts and social scientists-and now more than a third of our staff is based in country offices. Reconstruction remains an important part of our work. However, at today’s World Bank, poverty reduction through an inclusive and sustainable globalization remains the overarching goal of our work.
Investment Analyst - Venture Capital
Job Type Full Time
Experience 2 – 3 Years
Job Field Finance
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
- IFC offers a full range of financial products across the entire capital value chain, with a long-term investment horizon and deep knowledge of Emerging Markets. With one of the largest footprints in Emerging Markets, we offer local knowledge, linkages to other clients and portfolios, as well as an understanding of regulations and local domains.
- The Disruptive Technologies and Venture Capital team (“CDFDT”) invests in venture/early growth companies that offer innovative technologies or business models with high impact potential in Emerging Markets as well as VC funds. By executing transactions at earlier stages than IFC’s more traditional business lines, the CDFDT team enhances the organization’s strong commitment to innovation, support to local businesses, and helps accelerate cross border technology transfers.
- The Team works closely with other industry investment groups within IFC, including Infrastructure, Manufacturing and Financial Markets, as well as with appropriate counterparts within the World Bank Group.
- The venture capital group is looking to recruit an Investment Analyst in IFC’s Lagos office to support the current team in developing and executing new business opportunities, as well as managing investment portfolio and local client relationships.
- The Investment Analyst will play an active role in participating in the local office’s and the region’s business activities, interact directly with local and global clients, and will work with colleagues from Headquarters (Washington DC), and other regional offices.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluate, structure, negotiate, and close new transactions
- Develop a strong mapping and pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
- Help supervise investments in portfolio companies and manage internal IFC procedures including preparation of portfolio reports and related information
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to develop specific investment opportunities
- Coordinate closely with IFC’s business risk functions to ensure maintenance of the highest environmental and social, and integrity standards
- At least 2 – 3 years of experience in venture capital, private equity, consulting, investment banking, equity research. Candidates who have a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments preferred
- Strong interest in venture investing and emerging technology areas
- Strong familiarity with financial software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office suite, research and financial databases, etc.)
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work successfully with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English; a multi-lingual background will be viewed upon favorably.
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.
Deadline: August 15, 2020
Method of Application
Note: Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.