ZOLA Electric was founded in 2012 with a mission to make clean, reliable, affordable energy available to all. More than one billion people worldwide have no access to electricity — a number larger than when Edison powered his first light bulb. Another billion people cannot rely on their electrical supply, with voltage spikes and long power outages disrupting their businesses and lives.
ZOLA builds beautiful, reliable solar and storage power systems specifically designed to work where there is no access to grid electricity and with unreliable grids. These systems enable our customers to generate, store and manage their own 24-hour power supply, letting them become independent of unreliable power grids and dirty backup generators. ZOLA’s systems are modular and scalable, allowing customers to solve any power problem, anywhere.
Field Quality Engineering Manager
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 Years
Job Field Engineering
- The Field Quality Engineering manager will lead a team that works to make sure all Zola products meet customer and company quality requirements. He/she will be responsible for championing the Zola core values: Customer, People, Product, and Performance by guiding a team of Engineers and technicians in determining the overall product quality based on evaluation of detailed requirements, customer feedback, and test results.
- The job also involves both technical and people management skills. Technical functions involve designing and troubleshooting processes and products that explore future technologies & test existing products. The candidate will be responsible for guiding both the engineering and technical teams in proper design for testing and quality procedures.
- The Field Quality Engineering Manager will work with Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, and Operations to address and improve: quality, reliability, and manufacture-ability issues. Work will require leadership of cross-functional teams.
- The ideal candidate will have great technical writing skills, people management skills and some experience in lean manufacturing methodology and/or Design for Excellence (DFx). Additional relevant skills are: data collection and analysis, renewable energy knowledge, and proficiency in English plus Swahili and/or French.
- Proven 3+ years experience leading a team in an engineering organization
- 5+ years of experience in Electrical Engineering or Electronics Engineering in roles that included testing & troubleshooting complex hardware and software systems
- Experience with project and people management and proven ability to drive issues to closure and influence change
- Hands-on experience in prototyping, troubleshooting, and manufacturing support for embedded systems
- Proven data analysis and reporting skills using tools such as MS Excel, SQL & Looker
- Detail oriented candidate with strong recordkeeping, technical writing and organizational skills
- Experience working with renewable energy technologies (familiarity with AC/DC inverters a plus)
- Proficient with test equipment such as oscilloscopes, protocol analyzers, electronic loads, spectrum/network analyzers and other common lab instruments
- Ability to travel locally and overseas as necessary (about 25%+ travel may be necessary)
- Bachelors of science in Electrical, Electronics or Computer engineering.
- Take lead during new product field testing by setting up a sustainable system to run field testing and provide feedback to the Product Design Engineering team
- Use data analysis tools to track field failure rate and drive resolution through leveraging the cross functional team for in-market products
- Lead the team in providing training for in-market product repair and maintenance processes for debugging and repair of products
- Track and manage Quality Improvement projects to ensure consistent high product quality
- Lead the development of test plans in association with the Product Design Engineering team to validate design intent and product performance
- Train and manage a team of technicians to support field testing and provide workshop repair guidelines for products
- Provide guidance and manage contractors during projects that need to be outsourced
- Lead weekly meetings with different department heads and SMEs to discuss quality issues and utilize quality analysis tools to provide recommendations and drive consensus on product issue resolution
- Lead meetings with the Product Management team to discuss proposed changes to existing product line and determine proper qualification testing requirements to ensure successful product deployment
- Be the point of contact for the Business Commercial team to provide necessary technical support for potential supplier partners during product demonstrations and proof of concept testing.
Additional Relevant Experience:
- Experience in C, Python or other embedded system languages
- Experience with schematic and PCBA design tools such as OrCAD, Altium
- Experience using project management tools such as JIRA, git, Confluence
- Experience working with products through test and reliability standards such as IEC
- Working proficiency in English, Swahili and/or French
- Strategic Thinker
- Communication Skills
- Planning and Organizing Skills
- Time Management Skills
- Breakthrough Thinking
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.