The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Our award-winning research for development (R4D) addresses the development needs of tropical countries. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We are a nonprofit organization founded in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported by several countries.
Our mission is to enhance food security and improve livelihoods in Africa through research for development (R4D). We use the R4D model in setting a research course that addresses major development problems in Africa rather than simply contributing to scientific knowledge. It has proven to be an effective mechanism for agricultural research development. We and our partners have delivered about 70% of the international research impact in sun-Saharan Africa in the last three decades.
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 Years
Job Field Agro-Allied
- Provide strategic support in a wide variety of areas including value chain development and upgrading strategies, improving access to agricultural inputs, access to agricultural extension, and marketing;
- Support project leadership on program activities related to targeted agribusiness;
- Support Project leadership in ensuring adequate linkages to local public sectors stakeholders, potential investors, the private sector, donors, and development partners active in the agricultural value chain including cooperatives, agribusiness producers, agro-processors, and wholesalers;
- Lead the Tomato Value chain project of the agency program;
- Develop capacity building training to support in the area of agribusiness development;
- Develop annual work plans for the project and implementation of the Annual Work Plan (AWP) and budget for these sub-components;
- Support leadership efforts in research, business plan development, and report writing;
- Support the development and implementation of a clear strategy for attracting agri-business investments into the relevant value chains;
- Provide training and mentoring support to the youth in agribusiness programs.
- Report physical progress and results as per the projects results framework and any other supporting /subsidiary monitoring mechanisms;
- Coordinate the Executive office and provide lead administrative support for the project leadership;
- Perform other duties that may be required.
- Master’s in Agricultural Economics, Business Administration, or any other related discipline with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience performing related roles.
The ideal candidate must:
- Be proficient in all Microsoft Office tools especially Word, Powerpoint, Excel
- Have good communication skills – able to communicate clearly at high level with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have good negotiation skills – proven ability to facilitate high-value partnership with communities, private and public sector stakeholders.
- Have ability to multitask and manage various project elements simultaneously
- Have good command of project modelling, planning, operations research, strong project management and financial analysis skill.
We offer a highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.
Deadline: November 10, 2020
Method of Application
Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
Note: IITA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a diverse workforce. While all applications will be acknowledged, please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.