Sahel Consulting Agriculture & Nutrition Limited (SCANL) is a leading fund manager and advisory firm focused on west Africa with deep roots in private equity, financial advisory, management consulting and agribusiness. When you partner with Sahel, you benefit from quality financial and operating experience, broad industry knowledge, and a powerful network of global relationship
Job Type Full Time
Experience 5 Years
Job Field Finance
- The Accountant’s primary responsibilities are outlined below. The Accountant is however expected to perform any tasks that are necessary within the context of the evolving needs of the program.
- Financial Management & Oversight: Establish and maintain sound and transparent accounting and fiscal control procedures for internal operations and sub-award and contracts. Ensure compliance of financial and operations systems with Sahel policies and procedures, donor rules and regulation, terms and conditions, award requirements, and the laws of the Government of Nigeria (including PAYE, VAT, Withholding Tax, Pension, and NHF).
- Budgeting: Manage the program annual budget development process that includes managing the annual work plan, life-of-project and activity budgets and ensuring compliance of program expenditures with approved budgets; ensure the consistency, inclusion and accuracy of costs and compliance with agreed policy and practices, and work with staff in developing budgets for technical activities as necessary. Revise overall and sub-budgets as needed throughout the work plan year.
- Cash Flow Management: Manage the program’s cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts on a regular basis. Maintain complete and accurate supporting documentation for all financial transactions
- Reporting: Compute key business metrics and provide weekly, monthly and quarterly reports to management; create additional analyses and reports as requested. Prepare and submit periodic financial and accrual reports to the funding partners as required by the contract. Contribute to the development of high-quality work plans, quarterly and annual reports, financial reports, and any other reports required by the donor.
- Grant Management: Work with Accountant on the administration of all grants, leases, contracts, and other financial obligations.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Ensure that strong internal control systems are in place. Actively monitor all systems and ensure that staff act in full compliance with the terms and conditions of contract/award and donor requirements, local laws, and Sahel policies and standard operating procedures.
- Assist the Chief of Party to conduct regular and thorough operational risk assessments in country, and monitor success of risk mitigation and risk control activities. Coordinate execution of financial reviews or audits and ensure timely follow up to review or audit conclusions and recommendations in close collaboration with the project team.
- Administration: Supervise other program-based finance and accounting staff. Ensure appropriate segregation of duties in all procurement and payment activities from initiation to final payment. Handle the acquisition of capital assets and ensure they are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration or related field is strongly preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management,
- Knowledge in generally accepted accounting, budgeting and fiscal control principles.
- Experience with preparing financial reports for development partners
- Relevant skills in automated accounting software systems and database spreadsheets
- Experience in tax and audit preparation according to Nigerian laws
- Experience building capacity in financial management of, and demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with partner organizations
Communication & Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers and team members.
- Fluency in the English language, and excellent writing and presentation skills
- Personal Characteristics and Other Requirements:
- Excellent judgement. Ability to understand current issues quickly and make wise decisions
- Ability to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively and delegate
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Do not miss any Jobs/Scholarships updates, so you stay updated.
Deadline: Not Specified
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job title” as subject of the email.